Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TV or no TV?

There is always the parent who doesn't allow their child to watch television, none, at all. Are they onto something or are they "crazy?" Makes you go hmmm....... My honest opinion is always first, to each his/her own, and secondly, who cares what "they" do. Okay well, you understand what I'm getting at.

I will say that I believe:
-Too much TV is not a good thing because one can literally get "lost" in TV Land
-In setting TV/Computer/electronic rules and guidelines
-In monitoring what your child is watching...I caught my youngest on the "parent" side of Netflix watching South Park---gasp!! LOL - I don't even watch it, but she thought it was a cartoon. She almost balled because of the shock and aww in my voice!
- In allowing your children to watch age appropriate "educational" shows. Some children really do learn good things from shows, like Sesame Street.
-Having a variety of electronic outlets.

We also cannot completely shelter our children from the electronic age. Today a 3yr old knows how to work the computer...
Imagine if you will 2 children, one who is exposed to electronics in a healthy manner, and one who is not exposed. How will they interact with the world? Now, I am not saying that the child that is unexposed to electronics will not succeed. I am saying that they will succeed differently, and they will each have different strengths. Right?

Overall I think that it takes all of us to make the world go round, each of us (or our children), all have a unique and special way of interacting with the planet and with their peers.

What do you think? Does your 2 yr old watch Sponge bob? Does your 4 yr old surf the web?

3 comments:

  1. We don't allow Sponge Bob but we do allow our kids some TV and computer time. I have to say my kids know how to work some electronic things better than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's shocking to me sometimes :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to reading more!
    Daisy @ http://trendymomreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete